Friday, July 26, 2013

Finishing up Technopoly

Hi all!

Sorry for the long absence... my internet at my place of course was out all week this week, and every time I was at Panera trying to get work done, I spaced out on this blog post! Maybe internet fails are part of what Postman was warning us about...

Ok, anyways, FINALLY!!!! We are done with this book! I have to say, after reading my choice read, I disliked Postman's book even more.  Todd Oppenheimer (who wrote the book I read) had a much more balanced outlook on technology and education, and I SO appreciated that!

Postman wraps up the book by saying that he doesn't have a quick fix to all of the problems that he has pointed out in the book.  I don't know how you would have answers to the number of problems that he pointed out! With that being said, I would say that Postman's book did make me think more critically about technology- and the negative effects that it may have.  I want to now think more critically about how technology may affect me, my students, and our surrounding world.  But the hard thing is that hindsight is 20/20.  For instance, who would have thought that the clock would have such an affect on the world that we live in?  Did anyone see the effects it would have?  I also want to try really hard to not blame technology for things that I may have messed up on.  However, so far, I have failed at that it seems- did you read the first paragraph?  So, what I meant to say was that I am sorry that I am late with this blog post- I messed up.  There is some of my "takeaway" from this book.  What did you take away?

No comments:

Post a Comment